Saturday, May 1, 2010
Fast facts on Billboard magazine
First issue of Billboard magazine
* Founded in Cincinatti in 1894 by William H. Donaldson and James H. Hennegan as a trade paper for the bill posting industry.
* Started publishing music charts in 1936 in three music genres: Pop, Rhythm and Blues and Country and Western.
* Publishes more than 100 charts in such genres as classical, country, Latin, folk,jazz, gospel
* The Hot 100 chart was first published in 1958.
* Read in over 100 countries.
* Its website has 2.5 million unique visitors monthly.
* Chart positions are calculated based on both sales figures and airplay
* Headquartered in New York
* Owned by e5 Global Media