Thursday, June 3, 2010
Actress Rue McLanahan passed away yesterday at the age of 76. She starred in the series Golden Girls from 1985-1992 along with Estelle Getty who passed away in 2008, Bea Arthur who passed away last year and Betty White who is still alive
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
* Born March 13, 1939 in Brooklyn
* Singer, songwriter, pianist
* One of his earliest Billboard hits was "Oh Carol!" which was written for his then girlfriend singer-songwriter Carole King. The song made it to number 9 on the Billboard charts in 1959.
* Co-wrote with songwriter Howard Greenfield, the Connie Francis hit "Where the boys are" in 1960.
* His most famous hits include "Calendar Girl" (1961), "Breaking is hard to do" (1962), "Laughter in the rain" (1975). He had a hit again with a slower version of "Breaking up is hard to do"(1976)
* He teamed up again with Howard Greenfield to write Captain and Tenille's hit "Love will keep us together" in 1975.
* He wrote "Solitaire" which became a big hit for the Carpenters in 1975.
* Has a star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
* Has been married to wife Leba since 1962 and they have 2 children.
* He still keeps up a very active performing schedule.
Friday, May 21, 2010
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Its hard to believe that the Stevie Wonder is 60 years old. As a child prodigy he burst on the music scene in 1963 as "Little Stevie Wonder" with his first hit Fingertips (part 2). Since then he has had numerous hits that have become standards. Songs like "For Once in my life", "My Cherie Amour", "Signed, sealed, delivered I'm yours", "Isn't she lovely", "Happy birthday" to name a few.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
* Born March 22, 1943 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
* Started playing the ukelele at the age of 8
* Recorded first single "She makes me mad" at the age of 10
* Became a jazz guitarist and vocalist and recorded his first album "The New Boss Guitar" in 1964. He has since recorded pop and R&B songs
* Played on Miles Davis 1968 album "Miles in the sky"
* "This Masquerade" was a Billboard top 10 hit in 1976 and won him a Grammy Award for "Record of the Year"
* Recorded original version of "Greatest Love of all" for the 1977 movie about Muhammad Ali "The Greatest"
* Other well known singles include "On Broadway", "Give me the night", "Love X Love", Turn your love around"
* Has won a total of 11 Grammy awards
* Still keeps up a hectic touring schedule
Monday, May 10, 2010
Sunday, May 9, 2010
This song "I am woman" was recorded by Helen Reddy who also co-wrote the song with singer/songwriter Ray Burton. Released in 1972 the song made Helen the first ever Australian to have a Billboard number 1 hit.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!