Thursday, June 3, 2010
Actress Rue McLanahan passed away yesterday at the age of 76. She starred in the series Golden Girls from 1985-1992 along with Estelle Getty who passed away in 2008, Bea Arthur who passed away last year and Betty White who is still alive
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
* Born March 13, 1939 in Brooklyn
* Singer, songwriter, pianist
* One of his earliest Billboard hits was "Oh Carol!" which was written for his then girlfriend singer-songwriter Carole King. The song made it to number 9 on the Billboard charts in 1959.
* Co-wrote with songwriter Howard Greenfield, the Connie Francis hit "Where the boys are" in 1960.
* His most famous hits include "Calendar Girl" (1961), "Breaking is hard to do" (1962), "Laughter in the rain" (1975). He had a hit again with a slower version of "Breaking up is hard to do"(1976)
* He teamed up again with Howard Greenfield to write Captain and Tenille's hit "Love will keep us together" in 1975.
* He wrote "Solitaire" which became a big hit for the Carpenters in 1975.
* Has a star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
* Has been married to wife Leba since 1962 and they have 2 children.
* He still keeps up a very active performing schedule.